Saturday 18 April 2020

Wildlife

Bertie sits barking on the bank at the side of the house, looking down into the field. He's on full guard duty. There are some strange silvery shapes in the distance that obviously need warning off.

The News brings us images of sheep, deer and coyotes strolling through lockdown emptied streets and countryside.  And here too, our wildlife is getting bolder.

With no bikers or chainsaws in the woods across the valley to disturb their peace, the deer are free to roam - including into our garden and field where they are beginning to strip the bark from our still young trees. Hence the silver.  I've deconstructed unused sheets of sandwich insulation and wrapped the outer shiny layer round the already damaged stems, in the hope that the deer - like Bertie - will be disconcerted by the reflections.

Human hair is reputed to work. I need more than Tod and I can provide (even with lockdown, lack of visits to the hairdressers and ever-increasing tresses).  Perhaps I can ask friends to save theirs for me?  Collecting it would be a problem though for the foreseeable future.

Bars of perfumed soap hung from the trees is another option, but the supermarket shelves have been stripped. Were the French not using soap before all this?  Don't answer that, I'd rather not know!

So, in the short term I hope that the silver wrapping works - supported of course by Bertie's indignant and loud protestations.

5 comments:

  1. Let's hope it deters them...it's hard work planting trees.
    We are 'reforesting' about one third of the finca, thanks to government programmes which oblige the electricity board to plant five trees for every one they fell, whips of native species are given away every year...and the agriculture ministry has a givaway too, so year by year the trees are going in. It has been a problem keeping them alive in the last two dry seasons as they have been exceptionally hot with persistent high winds, but most of them have survived. We won't live to see the majestic forest trees in all their splendour - but someone will.
    As you request I will refrain from mentioning the French, soap, and the use or otherwise of same...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Trying again ... What a lovely thing to be doing Fly. I remember reading somewhere about a man of 99 years planting trees - how wonderful to care for future generations. And thank you for the refraining. :)

      Delete
  2. I saw that a wolf had been spotted in the north of France !
    My 'new to me' garden is tiny and yet I can manage to avoid gardening because a) I'm waiting to see what is going to come up. b) I dont have the required kit eg littte hand fork, twine. c) Garden centres are closed. d) I've been too busy with household chores that used to be done by others. e) It's been too nice not to sit out in the sunshine with a coffee and a book.
    I remember that gentlemens' urine was required to stop deer - or was it rabbits? Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lesley, I'd forgotten that one! I like the sound of your approach to your "new" garden - especially the bit about sitting in the sun. Hope there's plenty more of that over the coming weeks. Stay safe.

      Delete