Sunday 12 April 2020

At Least Only The Dogs Will See

We have a new "essential".  Tod needs a haircut - badly.

I never realised that barbers shops are much more important to men than hairdressers are to women.  Unless the man is courageous enough to let his wife cut his hair.

Tod has began to look fluffy.  Over the ears and round the neck.  To the point where he's been muttering about my using the dog clippers on him. Leaving it to grow is not a good look for him.  I have seen the photos of late teenage Tod looking not unlike a young Leo Sayer.

So I do some research on the internet and find a video of a man cutting his own hair.  It looks suspiciously simple.

A quick trip to Leclerc's and a hunt along the men's "personal grooming" shelves reveals dozens of gadgets for beards, ears, nose and body but only one for hair.  OK, that's the one then.  Yes, we could buy online but deliveries have slowed in the lockdown and another week's hair growth and we could be in serious trouble.

I start cautiously, at the highest setting and take off single millimeter lengths. Maybe this is easy!  But then, I don't know how - a moment of overconfidence perhaps - and there is a small bare patch where there shouldn't be.  Maybe he won't notice?  He does.

He's now in the bathroom showering off all the shorn bits. I think I can also hear him praying that lockdown will end soon.

I wonder if I'd have done it better with the dog clippers?

6 comments:

  1. I don't envy your task!
    Leo has refused to go to a barber for years, since the village barber in France proved to be a dandruff spreader. He tried a couple of times here, but is not enamoured of a short back and sides, so the task was delegated to me.
    Rash, with my eyesight....still, he has a luxuriant head of hair which grows quickly so mistakes are soon covered up and he still has two ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I don't envy you yours Fly! Tod's hair too is fortunately fairly thick and grows fast. I'm hoping that in a few days no-one will notice. Mind you, by that time one has a mask on I'm not sure hairdos matter much at the moment.

      Delete
  2. I've been cutting Paul's hair for years. I only made the mistake of removing the guard comb once and it looked like a lawn mower had driven across his head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sue, yes, he's got that lawnmower look! And that was with the guard. Fortunately he can't see round the back and he hasn't dared check with a second mirror. I could have done with the practice. Stay safe.

      Delete
  3. I used to do my husband's beard and eyebrows on No 1 setting but never his hair. Seeing as dog clippers etc are available I suggest a front topknot a la Yorkie to keep it out of his eyes and buzzed short, on No 0, spaces with those pompoms for a poodle. Just a thouht. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lesley, thanks for dropping by. How did you have the courage?? Love your suggestion for Tod. :) Stay safe.

      Delete