Monday 20 April 2020

Social Distancing - Not

Tod has been on the phone to an old school friend for nearly an hour.  This, mind you, is a man who tells me he hates the phone.

I call the HomeAway helpline to renew the advert for our cottage. (Normally a somewhat irritable conversation with a stressed agent in a call centre.)  I can hear domestic sounds in the background - a child's chatter, the clatter of kitchen routines, scraping of a chair - and I ask the man who answers if he is working from home.  He tells me about his bulldog who prefers his bed to a walk in the morning and we chat and laugh.  Never has HomeAway taken my money so easily and pleasantly.

I send my "Just checking" email to a friend in the UK and we gossip about gardening.  Photos are swapped, of the small shed she has made, the dogs, my roses.  And she describes the challenges of self-isolating from her granddaughter who lives next door.

Funny or nostalgic videos, snippets on Twitter, cartoons by Matt (from the Daily Telegraph, who is mining a rich vein of coronavirus humour) are shared round the world.

The British government has chosen the wrong phrase. We may be distant physically, socially we have never been so close.




 

4 comments:

  1. I have been touched by the number of people, friends and family, who have made a point of checking on Leo and keeping him up to date on what is happening with them...differing experiences in different countries.
    It has been good to make the time to chat or to exchange e mails - we must keep it up when all this is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they have Helen. It feels very important to do so. Whether we can keep it up afterwards? I hope so, but also suspect that "busyness" will raise its ugly head again and get in the way.

      Delete
  2. I meant to say what a cheerful flower bed atop of your blog. Is it your garden and one of your photos? It really cheers me up. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lesley, yes it is (to both questions). In fact I just love this years tulips, not least because I bought them for 50% off after the New Year! :)

      Delete