Tuesday 12 July 2022

I've Forgotten The Cornichons!

Tod likes them in a mild pickling liquid. I remembered the red peppers and the tinned chickpeas for the hummus, but not the cornichons.

I'll go back into town in a mo, after I've had my green tea.  No hardship. I'll be in an air conditioned car going to an air conditioned supermarket.  Much cooler than our old, thick walled, non-air conditioned house.

We're hiding indoors, with shutters closed and front and back doors open to try to get a through draught. Supper, these evenings, is in the kitchen. The terrace, although shaded, is too hot for comfort  We chivvy Vita (who is inclined to stand on the lawn in the sun with a vacant expression) back inside, where she then flops down on the tiles - cooler than the rugs we have around for her old bones. 

We worry about our guests who are on our sun loungers in full sun by the pool. Maybe we don't need to. They seem to be happy enough. I will talk to them later about whether we leave the pool cover off tonight to let the water temperature drop a bit - at its current 30°C it's no longer refreshing.

This weekend 40°C is a possibility.  We assume that places like Provence are even hotter.  But apparently not so, it's the western seaboard of France that is getting the brunt of this heatwave.  And it's forecast to continue well into next week and beyond. 

 

2 comments:

  1. Years ago a hot spell would be welcomed, now we are warned and worried and ready to sue in case something goes wrong and the Authorities didnt tell us. I gather that rightly some 14th July fireworks may have been postponed. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lesley, you're right, we do worry. Our local town's fireworks went ahead - they use the flood plain the other side of the Garonne so maybe thought the risk was minimal. I admit I enjoyed being there. I took some fairly terrible photos. Hope you stay safe and cool on Monday/Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete