Sunday 18 July 2021

Perfect Weather!

 Our Dutch guests have brought perfect summer weather with them.  Temperatures in the low thirties during the day and a lovely cool high teens at night. Bliss.

In my usual panicky final stages getting the cottage ready (why? I've had six months to do this!) I hummed and hawed about rigging up the free-standing air conditioners in the two bedrooms.  I always put them out reluctantly.  The hot air extraction pipe needs access to the outside, so I've created a Heath Robinson affair that means I tack a clear plastic "window" with a hole in it into the open frame and the vent pipe pokes through the hole.  It works, but it is not beautiful.  And the machine itself is clunky and clumsy and clutters the room.  

When temperatures at night are in the twenties our guests are just grateful for the relief and are not fussed how the air conditioners look, but the bedrooms are much more attractive without them. Having already too much to do, the prospect of taking time (twice over) wedging the plastic in the frame, finding some tacks and then fighting with the vent pipe to get it to stay in the hole helped in the end sway my decision to tuck the machines back into their corners out the way.  I'm glad now I did.

Our guests think the cottage looks lovely - helped, no doubt, by the glorious sunshine but also by the absence of clunky machines in the bedrooms.

4 comments:

  1. So glad that the weather turned in time!
    Crumbs, I could just see you wrestling with those air conditioners! What a performance that must be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Fly, delighted to say the pool is up at 27 degrees and they have been in and out the water all day - what a relief! The air conditioners aren't great but better than nothing. One day, we hope to have air to air units fitted, just in the bedrooms, in the meantime, we're just enjoying our cool nights and hot days - like you were describing.

      Delete
  2. I've never had air con and on the days and nights that were hot we had just fans going. So far this year (here in the NW of England) I have not had to have them overnight but The Dog and I needed a fan while watching the last stage of The Tour yesterday!
    Your guests are being well looked after. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lesley, in our first years here, we did the same and only once I think a friend had to retreat downstairs and sleep on the lounge sofa because upstairs had got too hot. Now though, it's been June that has given us the most unrelenting heat and so we got the free-standing air conditioners - we felt we had no option. Shame!

      Delete