Friday 18 June 2021

Yesterday's steady rain topped off by an evening thunderstorm ...

... has given the garden a good soaking, though has been hard on the roses.

Following a week of temperatures in the thirties, the roses were beginning to struggle.  Blooms already on the edge of falling have been scattered by the wind.  The swimming pool skimmer basket is full of pale pink.

In the days before the heat, knowing the likely outcome, I wandered the garden with my camera and tried to capture the roses in their glory.  I rarely can do them justice, but here is a hint of their splendour.






9 comments:

  1. They are lovely. I miss my old fashioned roses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Fly. They are! I'm not surprised you do. I am grateful we are living somewhere where they flourish. Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, jogging along as always having had a cataract op.

    Those roses would look wonderful here....but rambling rector et al do not care for warmer climes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do hope the cataract op has made life easier.

      Delete
    2. Not as yet.....no bending, and, to Lro's horror, no cooking! There is talk of buying a scuba mask to prevent him from perishing from cold food!

      Delete
    3. Oh my! So just recent. They don't tell you these things when a cataract op is suggested - it's all made to seem very easy. Take care. Can L boil an egg?

      Delete
    4. He can cook...but in a wheelchair it is just too dangerous. I have suggested to my quack that the hospital give an explanatory leaflet when they set the surgery date to avoid potential heart failure in spouses! The eye is great....apparently they will do the other one when this settles down so when that happens I will be stocking the freezer in readiness. In the meantime he is looking for diving shops to buy a mask!

      Delete
  4. I've four rose 'bushes' and so far a gentle dead heading has been required, we have had a little hot weather but so far no torrential rain or any rain to speak of for quite a while. My favourite rose that smells devine is still to reach it's peak. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lesley, hope all is well. Lovely thought - roses still to come. I have masses of deadheading to do!

      Delete