Saturday 12 September 2020

For the first time since, well it must be ...

 ... at least March and possibly even before Christmas, I have had a hair cut.

It was beginning to look fairly wild.  I could have auditioned for Back to the Future - The Musical.

I felt it had finally become safe to approach the salon in the Leclerc entrance hall where I usually go. The tourists have left, children are back at school and Tuesday lunchtimes once again are a haven of tranquility. 

Arrows on the floor in one direction only, alternate reclining seats by the basins blocked off, disposable capes, carefully wiped combs and scissors and (of course) the obligatory masks.  I recognise the stylist's eyes over her mask - she's cut my hair before.  No glossy style books to look at, which are usually my visual aid: "I'd like that one (pointing) but the length more like that one (on the following page)."  I struggle to explain through my mask and wonder does "dégradé" mean layered?  Anyway, she seems to understand and steers me towards the wash basins. 

It's all more functional - no relaxing head massage - just get the client in and out as soon as possible.  I ask her how it's been and she says, "you get used to it", with a typical Gallic shrug. The mask elastics over my ears hold no fears for her.  I wonder how she avoids cutting through them, but she has done this hundreds of times by now. 

And the final result?  Well worth it. I'm now more Michael J Fox (albeit not that hair colour) than Doc Brown.




 

4 comments:

  1. Such a relief, isn't it! I was beginning to look like Strewwelpeter - not a good idea to look in the mirror - so whn my hairdresser opened again I was more than delighted. She operates in the wholesale meat and veg market in San Jose so has a good regular clientele but was forced to close by the health authorities until recently. She does a superb cut - knows how to handle European hair, which is rare here except at a price to cause heart failure - but is facing financial ruin thanks to not being able to work in which time her mortgage still had to be paid - and, unfairly - the rent for her pitch in the market.She did not qualify for government aid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Fly, sorry I've been slow to respond. Just spent the last few days getting the cottage ready for our first German guests. He is in a wheelchair - so this has been a busy time sorting it out to meet his needs. Do hope your hairdresser survives - this has been such a cruel time for some. I remember the pictures, I never realised his name was Strewwelpeter. Perhaps as well as I suspect I would have teased my brother!

      Delete
  2. Experience of months without a cut now means that I am extending the gap between RDVs to ten weeks rather than the eight that has been the norm. My friend's cocker spaniel goes more often for a trim and at at least three times the price! Ted is still gloriously sporting his untrimmed 'feathers' of 12 years. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lesley, sorry I've been quiet, as I've just said to Fly, been busy getting the cottage ready - good to have some business this year. It's been interesting hasn't it to find out what one's hair does. When I was young it was straight and I occasionally had a perm (heavens!) now, to my surprise, it develops quite a curl. I like the idea of "feathers" - I must remember that for Vita.

      Delete