Saturday 15 August 2020

They've Left!

 And Samantha, she of the doe eyes and recently lost eyelashes, has gone with them.

Our courteous Dutch guests have departed. Not for Rotterdam - as I had assumed - but for Soulac-sur-Mer, where they will be spending a week surfing.  And the holiday continues for one very pink seahorse.

We did not see them go - social distancing favours minimum contact - so we have no idea whether she fitted in the back along with the teenage daughters, or had to be deflated and stowed in the boot.

Now the cottage will be left to "rest" until Tuesday morning.  Shutters are ajar, windows open inside, and (if they have remembered to do as I asked) empty wardrobes, drawers and cupboards left open to air.

The last of our English guests, due to arrive next Saturday, have deferred until next year their month-long holiday, in light of the new quarantine regulations.  But we will prepare the cottage as if they are coming.  I have opened my calendar again and, who knows, maybe some family this side of the Channel looking for a tranquil last minute holiday will find us.

If not, we will not be concerned.  Having the place to ourselves through the rest of August and September has its appeal. And I'm glad I don't have to make any tough decisions about what to do with Samantha.

4 comments:

  1. Relieved that Samantha was not dumped...but how they transported her is beyond me!
    What a todo these health precautions are!
    I saw photographs of the rush to beat the quarantine regulations in the U.K. - people can't know whether they are coming or going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Fly, yes, this is all so crazy. Anxiety levels are raised because of the indecision of politicians. Health protocols say one thing, then something else! I realise I'm exhausted by it all - planned to do lots once our guests had left, but just pootling.

      Delete
  2. Ted & I would love to have come and taken up the slack for a month but I really feel that I have THIS year lost my confidence to do a holiday anywhere. I don't understand the blanket quarantine requirement that should be followed post 4am on 16th as opposed to before that time. If only there was a test with immediate result that would confirm that one has it, had it, can now pass it on and that you wont get it again in the future. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lesley - what a lovely thought. No - this year it's much better to stay safe. And oh heavens yes, how badly we need better quality healthcare when it comes to viruses and this shows how little the human race does know and how complacent we've been.

      Delete