Sunday 30 June 2019

Grey Morning

There's an apocryphal story in São Paulo that women in Rio wear their fur coats when the temperature drops to 70°F.

Tod tells me when he was in his early twenties and came down to Biarritz he  found the weather deeply depressing.  Expecting to lie on the beach all day in glorious sunshine, most days low cloud swept in and hung around until late afternoon.  Tough for tourists (like those yesterday in Leclerc, wearing most inappropriate clothing), but wonderful for locals who are able to get on with their lives in relative comfort.

We've had such a day here and I've gardened with pleasure all morning.

And the Cariocas in their fur coats?  The difference between the 100°F of the last few days and the 70°F of this morning means that I've been wearing long trousers and a sweater.

5 comments:

  1. I'm only just getting used to people wearing those knitted Peruvian hats with ear flaps and coats with furry collars when the temperature is under 20C.
    Leo was stopped three times when attending outpatients on Friday by nurses concerned that he would be cold wearing tee shirt and bermudas...they all had cardigans over their uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Fly, I'd be wearing the hat with ear flap and furry collar! I don't take my thermals off until it gets to about 20. :) You and Leo are obviously made of sturdier stuff.

      Delete
  2. As Para Handy said 'Britain's hardy sons...'

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Dog has little choice in which fur coat he wears. This time of the year I am also forever pulling 'bobbles' and other grass seeds off him. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lesley - Vita's the same - I've been razoring bits off her (when she let's me) to help her cool down. The bobbles get so embedded in her fur. Bertie's fur is silkier, so they slide through easily. Stay cool!

      Delete