Thursday 30 August 2012

Late August on the Beach

Tired of weeding-and-watering and watering-and-weeding, I head due west for the sea, to remind myself why I am living in this part of France, leaving Tod and the dogs content at home.

The joys of the French lunchtime. I arrive soon after mid-day and have my pick of places to put my towel and sun hat.  Only the hardy and the foreigners are still on the beach.

I venture into the cold Atlantic rollers, which one moment drag at my ankles, the next buffet round my thighs; and admire the fearless children pushing out through the waves on their flimsy surfboards.  Not a sea for swimming in, but it is enough to get soaked and breathe the salt-laden air.

A make-shift shelter behind a tumbled-over lifeguard turret means I can dry off and have the joy of reading The Time Traveler's Wife for a while in the shade before wandering along the promenade past restaurant after café after bar in search of a crêpe au fromage and an ice cream from a counter where they have at least thirty flavours including bubble gum and licorice (never dared try either!).

I stroll, take photos and admire the lithe bronzed bodies of those who have been here surfing for the whole of August.

By mid afternoon the beach is steadily filling with beautiful people, surfers, surf boards and large stripy umbrellas.  I breathe in one final lunge-full of sea air and head home.

Lacanau-Océan Lunchtime




Mid afternoon


PS: gardener's sun tan:  dark brown back and shoulders from bending over weeding; pink end of nose and chin that jut out from under sun hat; tide mark just above knees (where shorts end) down to mid calf (where wellington boots start); light brown grubby hands from mostly hiding in gardening gloves.

12 comments:

  1. Now that's what I call a beach, Sue. Glad you had such a good day out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it is Perpetua. Stretches all the way from the foothills of the Pyrenees to the mouth of the Gironde. Pounded by great Atlantic rollers. Very bracing. You certainly come away knowing you've been to the sea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, lovely west coast beach - and how lovely to have a beautiful day there to yourself!
    I read The Time Traveller's Wife (sorry, have to put 2 'l's!) by a pool and to the shame of my children, wept openly and loudly...oops, hope you've finished it by now.
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the gardener's tan!

    I'm not a great beach person, so a short break like that would have been ideal...very crafty arriving at lunchtime...clearly you're an old hand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the reverse of Panda Eyes from trying to read in glasses in the sun. The beach trip sounds lovely a real 'day off' from the house, garden, dogs and husband!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lesley, yes it's only taken me until 65 years old to realise I can do this and not feel guilty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Fly, I like my short breaks, I come back revived. The lunchtime thing is almost inevitable - I'm not an early bird - but it works so well in France. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Annie - yes the west coast of France is just amazing - and golden soft sand all the way. :) I know what you mean about the two "l"s! I must say I hadn't noticed until I came to make the link to Amazon. Yes, I have finished. I'd already seen the film, so knew what was coming, but still real heartache and a wonderful love story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those Atlantic beaches - in winter though, they're much too hot in the summer. When we lived on the other side of the Garonne I often used to go with a daughter or two, sandwiches and the dogs and we'd walk for about two hours along the sand from Biscarrosse towards Pyla and then back again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Victoria that sounds fabulous! I envy you. We must all go back when the weather's cooler. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds wonderful.... and looks pretty good too. I remember taking our children when they were younger onto some of those gorgeous beaches...it was always good. Glad you had such a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Janice, thanks for dropping by. I wonder about the beaches for smaller children as there is such a strong undertow, but they seem to manage really well. Some with their tiny surf boards. :)

    ReplyDelete