Saturday 24 February 2024

A sharp westerly wind ...

 ...  freezes my cheeks and my fingers protruding from my fingerless gloves as I walk Bertie along the green strip at the edge of Monsieur F's field. The ditch beside us is full of muddy gurgling water that is pouring into the stream at the bottom.  My wellington boots slosh through the shallow lake that has reappeared following last night's rain. I let Bertie off his lead. He has his nose firmly pressed into a grass tussock and I leave him there, reassured that he hasn't noticed or smelt the two deer that bounded away across Phillipe's field when they saw us emerge from the house.

The morning is peaceful - the end of February is the end of the hunt season and this is the last weekend the guns can be out. It's due to rain solidly tomorrow; perhaps the hunters will stay at home. I send up a silent prayer for the deer.

Despite the cold, the wind brings a promise of spring. Later in the day, high above me, I hear the cranes calling. They are heading east and north for the summer. 

7 comments:

  1. It's been wet here. (Flooded main road nearby, in the usual place, has temporary traffic lights as They have given up trying to sort the regular problem) Having said that, we have days that you know will dry things off and Spring is really just around the corner. Today I had coffee out in the courtyard of my usual haunt and even took my coat off! Good job Bertie is neither a sight nor scent hound! Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lesley, oh I envy you your weather. It's awful here! I think sadly Bertie is losing his sight and fortunately the wind was blowing from us towards the deer. Also he was much too keen on something that had passed near the ground - cat? coypu? - which kept him busy.

      Delete
  2. I forgot to say how I miss the cranes flying (both ways) over Saussignac. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are wonderful, aren't they. I feel very blessed we are in a part of France where they fly over.

      Delete
  3. For some reason your posts aren't coming up in my reader.....
    Always looked forward to the end of the chasse season....letting their half starved dogs out, said dogs disappearing, drunken men tooting horns half the night looking for them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for finding me, I always enjoy your comments. Such a relief when they are gone. We have three deer in our field most days.

      Delete