Sunday 25 October 2020

Yesterday, in bright sunlight ...

... as we headed down across the field,  Vita rolled in something odorous. Normally Vita's rolling would provoke an "Oh no!" as she proudly wafts around in her new perfume. But on this occasion we smile.  She has not done this in months.  She struggles to her feet against the slope - her back legs collapsing under her - but finally manages.  

This is progress.  It has been a hard year for her, with the emergence of full-blown epilepsy and then three violent bouts of high fever over the same number of months.  Slowly, slowly, she is regaining strength, aided by the lovely Doctor Sophie in Bordeaux with her acupuncture and her colleague who administers osteopathy.

Vita had followed us as we headed down towards the far corner of our terrain to plant a new liquidambar tree.  I needed Tod to hold it in place while I decided exactly where it would go exactly, in the line of sight to the right of the dark green cypresses and to the left of the more distant golden leaved silver birches.

I hope the new addition, which will have the most spectacular of autumn foliage, will be a flame red - the label only offers a vague promise of purple or red or yellow.  In a few days we will know.

This morning, an increasingly robust Vita announces at six am it is time to get up and go for a walk.  Only today it's five.  So we pretend not to hear and she finally curls up and snores gently on a rug in the kitchen.  Daylight saving quite throws a girl's routine. 



4 comments:

  1. I did not realize that Vita was so unwell and I'm sure we all wish her better health and that The Bordeaux Folk and you get her to a less worrying state.
    Clock change always put us in a tiz of Ted wanting out early and he takes ages to get in sync with the clock. It also takes a study of instruction books to change the microwave, radio and car. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lesley, thank you for your good wishes. We have been very fortunate to find the practice in Bordeaux. They are very special. You have my sympathies re sorting out the various clocks. I was in the Skoda earlier and I haven't a clue how to change the clock!

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry to hear that Vita has had problems...you must be so relieved to see her getting back on her paws.
    I hope the liquidambar gives you the colour you want.
    No clock change here, thank goodness. I used to ignore it as much as possible rather than try to tinker with things beyond mortal power to control. It was easier to remember than to tinker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Fly, we're very glad she seems to be on the mend after months of being very frail. I haven't dared post about it as I didn't want to tempt providence! I remember when I was living in Brazil, I went to Argentina one autumn and just loved the colours of the trees, which Sao Paulo just didn't have. Lovely to see the seasonal changes.

      Delete