Monday 17 December 2018

Feet

My role in life has become keeping the medical profession in full employment.

If it isn't teeth it's eyes.  And if it isn't eyes it's feet. Today, it's feet.

Do you remember the large brown x-ray machines in shoe shops?  A lifetime ago.  As children, my mother always insisted we wore "sensible" shoes - Startrite I seem to remember.  The giant advert on the walls at tube stations of two small children, hand-in-hand marching away from us along an endless road,  a perfect image of me and my brother.

The man with the brown box - I was always a little nervous of putting my foot into the black hole (a touch prescient maybe) - informed my mother I had "expensive" feet.  How right he was!

Apart from a relatively brief irresponsible moment in my late teens and early twenties when my father despaired of the impact of my stilettos on the lounge parquet flooring, I have, on the whole, continued with my mother's advice ringing in my ears to wear sensible shoes.  So, I find it hard now to be lumbered with a set of aching clodhoppers that our new GP recoiled from exclaiming "deformés" several times when he asked me to remove my socks. (It particularly rankles that Tod has such beautifully straight feet.)

Still, our less than tactful GP gave me a prescription for some orthotic insoles and I headed for the best podiatrist in the whole of Lot-et-Garonne. Somehow, shoving little coloured wedges of differing heights under my heels and insteps, bonding them all into scruffy grey insoles and with fearsome instructions to wear them always, the podiatrist has done it.

My feet may still be clodhoppers but at least they no longer hurt. Today, three months later, the foot-man is proud of me (and himself) exclaiming "superbe!" at least half a dozen times as he asks me to stand and walk.  So much more encouraging than "deformés".

Basking in my new-found sense of well-being, I contemplate even going so far as to buy some new (sensible of course) Merrell's sandals for next summer.

As I leave, we shake hands and wish each other "bonnes fêtes".  He tells me to come back in a year - but then hastens to say if I need to see him in the meantime, not to hesitate to do so.  Ah, of course, I must always be mindful of my new role in life!



3 comments:

  1. I do sympathise.
    My feet seem to have collapsed...which is jolly unfair after a lifetime of sensible shoes...so it is off to the foot bod in the New Year if I can still walk to get there!
    So glad you have a solution and can look forward to some sandals for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Fly, yes, it isn't fair is it! Hope your foot bod proves to be as good as the one who's treated me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That XRay machine was great fun I remember green coloured feet, how much damage was caused by the extra exposure that is now not allowed! My Mum bought into Start-rite.
    Sturdy feet and legs have been my lot - but then nothing of me is slim & elegant (plus as they say 'I have all my own teeth'), only a few more years to go.
    At this time of the year I also look forward to sandals, a few days to go and the days will start to get longer. Have a good Christmas. Lesley

    ReplyDelete