Monday 11 June 2018

The crash ...

... came from the hall and was impossible to ignore.

I was watching something facile on Netflix trying to block out the sound of the wind and rain, the thunder and Vita's anxious pawing at the furniture.

But the crash needed attention.  A sharp command to two anxious dogs to "Stay!" and I opened the door from the lounge.

The old, rickety french windows were flung open and horizontal driving rain from the east (from the EAST! It never rains from the east) was pouring into the hall, soaking the scruffy Indian carpet purchased for next to nothing in a junk shop.  A pool of water spread across the concrete floor and under the spare computer tucked beneath a card table awaiting Tod's attention.

I dragged the windows to and tried to lock them together, but knew they would not hold for any length of time in this gale. 

It felt like an old disaster movie as I clutched at the handles "Fetch the storm shutters Annie-Mae and be quick about it gal!". But I had no storm shutters and any help was soundly asleep (heaven only know how) and gently snoring.  If not woken by the crash he certainly wouldn't be by any distant shouting as I clung onto the wooden frames.

Forced to leave the rattling windows, I dragged the green leather sofa that had been an unfortunate choice and had been banished to the hall across the sodden carpet and wedged it against the doors hoping it would be enough to hold them.

In the lounge, the dogs had not moved, shocked into obedience by the urgency of my command.  I returned to Netflix and to my surprise they both settled down contentedly.  Obviously I'd sorted out whatever was wrong and all was well.

We wake to remarkably little damage - battered roses and a branch down from one of the lime trees.  The météo promises that summer starts this coming Thursday.  After weeks of storms described as "a national disaster" - for farmers, for builders, for the tourist industry - it can't come a day too soon.

5 comments:

  1. The weather seems to be playing up everywhere.
    Our rainy season started a month early and whereas normally it starts with rain just in the afternoons we have had whole days and nights of heavy rain and, just like you, with a change of direction!
    Quick thinking about the sofa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mother Earth is pretty angry - and getting angrier! I'm glad the sofa is earning its keep - it really was an unfortunate choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a cheap, very comfy, secondhand sofa....the idea was that I could lie down on it in the afternoons, The pups had other ideas....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! The evening's excitement must have really had your heart racing. But your mind was just clicking along doing all that was necessary. For myself, I suspect I would have been walking in circles, unsure what to do. I tend to panic! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Fly and Dee, apologies for not replying but for some reason blogspot is not longer notifying me I have comments. I think it's to do with all this stupid privacy nonsense. I clicked something, or didn't click something, and now my notifications have stopped. We know that one Fly, sofas and dogs! Dee I tend to walk round in circles when I'm NOT in a panic. Not getting on with stuff. :) Glad to say summer's finally here.

    ReplyDelete