Thursday 5 June 2008

Time for Tea

"The grass is as high as an elephant's eye..."
.....with apologies to Rodgers and Hammerstein

I've come in for a tea.

I've been working along the bank under the fruit trees clearing the tall (elephant eye high) grasses that have been untouched since spring and are now a sodden mass. The sky's been leaden grey all morning and the wind has had a hint of rain in it - ideal working weather, not too hot and no need for a sun hat.

Some of the "grass" is wild oats and winter wheat that has escaped from Serge's field - tough to cut back with just a pair of shears. I really need a heavy duty strimmer to do the job properly, but they are noisy and smelly. When I use the shears I can still hear the birds singing.

Between cuts I've been eating the cherries from the low branches of our old raggedy cherry tree that I've been bumping my head on as I work. The cherries look so inviting - glowing bright red on the tree - and I always hope the next one will be different, but they are teeth-clenchingly sour.

When the bank is clear I want to plant the tulips that were in pots and have now gone over and are lying in a messy heap. But it's started raining seriously; so I've come in and that's yet another garden job half done!

Links:
"Oh what a beautiful morning" from Oklahoma

No comments:

Post a Comment