Saturday 17 November 2018

Well That Was a First!

I had our large Leclerc supermarket entirely to myself this morning - except for a few dejected staff.

France is having a national "manifestation" against the rising cost of taxes on diesel.

Blissfully unaware, I took the back road to the retail park where Lidl and Leclerc sprawl. Emerging from a side street I found my way onto the roundabout blocked by middle-aged men in "gilets jaunes"- the yellow safety vests we all have to carry by law in our vehicles.  A leaflet was thrust through my window. No one was going anywhere.

Slowly it dawned on me - they weren't blocking Lidl's entrance!  Possibly because the "gilets jaunes" needed somewhere to park their own cars.  A quick u-turn, a parking space found and I struck out on foot for Leclerc on the far side of the estate.

More "gilets jaunes" and several pallets blocked my way.  Uncertain of the etiquette in France about crossing picket lines, I asked if I could pass. Sometimes being an elderly English woman speaking bad French has its benefits and I was waved benevolently through.

As I walked between the rows of empty parking spaces, the entrance doors swished apart and a solitary, scowling man emerged. Good! That meant the place was open.  Curious to know what was going on, I crossed the deserted hallway to the information desk, to find the staff clamouring for information from me!  How had I got there?  Had they let my car through?  When I explained Lidl was open and I had been able to park and walk, an irate manager promptly got on the phone. (I nervously wondered if his call would lead to Lidl and my car being blocked.)

In half an acre of cash tills, only one was open, the young cashier idly chatting to a colleague.  They told me the manifestation was foolish and that it was likely to happen again next weekend.

Carrying my shopping and retracing my steps, a woman with a knapsack, wisely wearing her "gilet jaune", came towards me.  As we passed we smiled at each other conspiratorially.

It's going to be a very long, very slow Saturday for Leclerc's staff. They are going to need the "bonne courage" I gave them as I left, especially as Lidl is still open.

4 comments:

  1. Apart from farmers...who were universally surly...I always found demonstrators very ready to help the innocent who wished to get from A to B. Their beef was with the government.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Fly, you're right - everyone was friendly and chatty - more of a holiday mood than anything. Though sadly it did turn ugly elsewhere according to the news. We had a lovely peaceful Saturday - no traffic on any of the roads around us.

      Delete
  2. About 50 yellow jackets at our ElC/Lidl roundabout. We put our names and postcode to a sheet of paper and then drove on to do the shopping. Must agree that putting the tax up -even more- on fuel is very unpopular in rural France. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting Lesley that they let you through. At least at the time I was there nothing was being allowed through except the car of the florist, who (as I saw as I walked back) was then standing mournfully in front of his open (empty) shop. I think it's also because in recent years everyone has been encouraged to buy diesel cars, so it especially rankles.

      Delete